- Phone: 812-883-6495
- 307 East Market Street – Salem, Indiana
- Website: WWW.JOHNHAYCENTER.ORG
The Village made up of log buildings that were constructed from logs salvaged from old houses and stores in Washington County include a cabin, cabin, jail, blacksmith shop, school, church, carpenter shop and loom house, general store and the John Hay home. The Hay home was acquired by the Washington County Historical Society in 1967. The house has been restored and furnished in the 1840 period. This village is used throughout the year at special times during special occasions. During school tours, open house periods along with the annual Old Settler’s Day weekend. During these special time periods, people can be found in the village appearing with early 1800’s clothing talking with visitors and re-enacting activities. The village is located directly behind the Steven’s Museum.